Stray Dogs or Cats

If you locate a stray dog and it is safe to do so, we encourage you to take charge of the dog. You may take the dog to any veterinarian, animal shelter, or rescue organization to be scanned for a microchip. If no owner is located, you may bring it to the shelter during our business hours. If you are unable to safely secure the animal, please call Stockton Animal Services

If you have a neighbor who regularly lets their animals roam freely, we encourage you to speak with the owner and advise why it is not safe for the animal or humans in the neighborhood for the animal to roam free. It is also a violation of the Stockton Municipal Code to let a dog roam free.

If you locate a stray uninjured cat and are safely able to contain it, you may also take it to a veterinarian, animal shelter, or rescue organization to be scanned for a microchip. Stockton Animal Services will not respond on stray, uninjured cats. Please see the Trap, Neuter & Release (TNR) and Barn Cat section of our website for more information.  


Barking Nuisance Complaints

If you have a neighbor who owns a dog that barks incessantly, disturbing you or your neighbors, sometimes the best course of action is to attempt to speak with the animal owner. Often, the animal owner is unaware their dog is disturbing the peace. If you have attempted to contact the animal owner or you do not feel it is safe to do so, please contact Stockton Animal Services during business hours, and we will set up a call for service.

Please be advised, we will need multiple residents willing to make a formal complaint for the City of Stockton to take action on barking nuisance complaints.

Report of Fowl or Other Animals

It is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to keep any domestic or wild animal (excluding dogs, cats, and other household pets), reptile, apiary, or fowl within the City limits except where permitted within a particular zone or district as provided in the Stockton Municipal Code.If you know of someone who has any of these animals, please call Stockton Animal Services.  


Dog Bites

If you or someone you know has been bitten by an animal, please contain the animal if safe to do so. If the animal owner is known, please call Stockton Animal Services and provide us with as much information as possible, such as animal owner's name, address, telephone number, and a description of the animal.

  • If the animal is current on its rabies vaccination and the animal can be safely secured at the residence, the animal may be put on a 10-day home quarantine period.
  • If the animal owner is unknown or the animal isn't currently vaccinated against the rabies virus, it will have to be placed on a 10-day quarantine at the Stockton Animal Shelter.  

Abandoned Animals at Residences

If you are aware of an animal(s) that has been left behind at a residence, please contact Stockton Animal Services. We will send an Animal Services Officer out to investigate. The Officer will attempt to determine if the animal(s) is being cared for by the animal owner or property owner.

If the Animal Services Officer determines the animal(s) is not being properly cared for, the Officer will issue a 14-day pre-seizure notice, which is required by law. Stockton Animal Services will also attempt to contact the property owner.